On Saturday (17.03.12) night I VJed at the brilliant club night - Wonderland . Overall the set went down pretty well and the clips were responsive for most of the time. During the set, I had every performers worst nightmare - a crash. This happened several times during the night, it seems that changing the decks in Resolume was the cause of this. It didn’t happen every time, however it did happen a total of 7 times. Not exactly what you want from a set… In terms of memory usage, the machine seemed to be running fine and I wasn’t maxing anything out. Maybe it’s just a case of checking the clips for codec issues… All were converted to DXV, however some came from animation, some from MP4 and some from photo Jpeg. Each crash took a minute or so for Resolume to restore itself which wasn’t great. Next time I may try and bundle all clips into 1 deck and see how it handles them all.
Aside from that, one crash led to a loss of serial number (requiring me to sign in to retrieve a license) and also disabled layers 7 and 8. Having spoken to the makers of Resolume, the Serial issue is to do with the Beta of v4 (of which I still have installed as well as the licensed copy) but the layer issue is still a mystery…
Other Issues I came across -
Touch OSC isn’t great for Tempo tapping, nor is Resolume great at keeping time. I found that using an external BPM clock, i.e. Ableton (as I’ve used in a previous, slightly more complicated set up) is overall better. Using a physical controller such as the Launchpad to control abltn should hopefully get around this.
Getting the network to connect was a bit of a hassle. I use a computer to computer network as connecting to a club’s wireless can be slow - this one in particular (Crucifix Lane, LDN) was giving me a half second delay. I find that the iPad and Macbook sometimes just don’t want to see each other and it requires a few network attempts (and maybe a restart) to get them to see one another.